Freitag, 30. November 2018

Foodspots for your weekend - When In... Berlin

Berlin is a city we frequently visit and we managed to explore new neighbourhoods and places the last time we went. It was a wonderful autumnal Saturday and a quite cold Sunday so we had different temperatures for different occasions (ice cream, markets, street-food, and tea time).


We originally came to Prenzlauer Berg to try the legendary Currywurst at 'Konnopkes', a long-established snack stall under a train track. Due to nice shops along the street we just traveled along and stumbled upon Oderberger Straße, a street with diverse and local cafes and shops like different, truly original second hand places and a wonderful ice cream shop called Par Creamery. I guess that they change their flavours according to season because I tried Brown Butter Plum with cinnamon and Pumpkin Cheesecake Speculoos. Two perfect flavours for the fall and winter time, especially for everyone who is obsessed with Pumpkin Spice like I am ;) You can find my blogpost on my visit to a pumpkin barn here.

❃❃❃


Right next to my new favourite ice cream parlour was a cool coffee shop called Café Krone, which could have been straight out of New York City. The white tiles and vintage furniture added something cozy yet stylish flair. The food looked divine and the fact that it was fully booked for the next morning speaks for itself. I'm hoping for better luck next time!

❃❃❃


I guess everyone who traveled with me before knows that I am highly fascinated by luxurious hotels and visiting one usually makes my day/trip :D

This time around, we took a closer look at the Hotel Stadtbad Oderberger. 
Their extravagant restaurant is built within the former thermal power station pictured on the left and in the summer you can enjoy their menu on the terrace next to their vegetable garden.






But the centerpiece of the hotel builds their pool next to the lobby. It is not only used for swimming but can be covered so that events like weddings can take place on top of it, in their beautifully restored swimming hall from 1898. It looks absolutely breathtaking in person.

 

❃❃❃

On our agenda for the next morning was the Markthalle 9, an indoor market place for street food and all things culinary like cookbooks and workshops. 



               


























We had this on our bucket list for the longest time and picked a lucky day because there were even extra food trucks and offers in the surrounding streets due to a Streetfoodfestival. 


I tried Liquorice-Nutella, Blondies, and Cinnamon Rolls and we even found Brammibal's Donuts, a vegan donut shop (in this case food truck but they have three locations across the city). I had to choose between a Chocolate-Pretzel and a Pumpkin Spice Donut and choose the latter (you can sense a theme ;)) to take it home for the next day, which was a fabulous choice.

❃❃❃


Our last stop before our drive back home was my beloved Café Grosz. It reminds me of a very grand hotel or palace, maybe that's the reason wh I love it so much. 
Edit: I just did my research and it is in fact an old Grand Hotel from the 1920s!


The café is very atmospheric and detailed, with beautiful bouquets and fine porcelain. My treat pictured above was a Matcha Blackberry Cake.
During the warmer months you can sit in their internal courtyard, which appears quite Parisian.




















Berlin has so many nice and different food spots and is in general such a diverse city. These were not only new places for me but old favourites as well and I guess there are many more to come after our next visit.

Love, Laura





Follow

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen